Excellence in Facial Plastic Surgery – International Surgeon, Teach, Leader and Humanitarian.
Peter A. Adamson, OOnt, MD, FRCSC, FACS
About Peter A. Adamson, OOnt, MD, FRCSC, FACS
Dr. Peter A. Adamson is an Otolaryngologist – Head and Neck Surgeon practising in Facial Plastic Surgery.
Since launching his highly successful Toronto practice in 1981, Dr. Adamson’s excellence in facial plastic surgery has consistently inspired the loyalty and trust of patients from all walks of life. From pre-operative assessments to formulation of treatment plans and post-operative care, his informed, supportive and collaborative approach has benefited thousands of patients, empowering each one to face the future with renewed confidence.
Dr. Adamson’s Biography
Certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (highly specialized surgery of the head and neck), this 1972 graduate from the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine is recognized nationally and internationally for his surgical techniques, teaching and leadership.
Awarded the prestigious McLaughlin Foundation Fellowship in Medicine in 1980, Dr. Adamson honed his superb technical skills with advanced studies at Tulane University in New Orleans. The outstanding caliber of his work has earned him a reputation among his colleagues as a respected international surgeon and authority in his field, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
A Professor in the Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Toronto and a staff surgeon at The Toronto General Hospital, Dr. Adamson is widely published and regularly lectures to national and international audiences. His practice includes demonstration surgery around the world and international patients.
A recipient of numerous honours and awards for his contributions to medicine, Dr. Adamson is the past President of the Canadian and American Academies of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, as well as the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery. He is currently President of the International Board for Certification in Facial Plastic Surgery. In 2016, Dr. Adamson was awarded the Order of Ontario (OOnt), the most prestigious official honor in the province. This recognized Dr. Adamson’s national and international contributions and stature as a surgeon, teacher, leader and humanitarian.
As President of the Face the Future™ Foundation, Dr. Adamson leads surgical teams to less fortunate countries as head of an international contingent of surgeons on humanitarian missions to donate reconstructive facial surgery services to disadvantaged children.
Dr. Adamson’s surgeon colleagues have rated him one of the “Best Doctors in Canada” since 2007. He receives accolades from his colleagues in facial plastic surgery both through requests to teach his techniques and being referred the most challenging cases. Patients rate him highly on his surgical skills and their natural results, as well as dedicated and compassionate care. These honours are indicative of his commitment to superior treatment outcomes and unique patient care.
Each patient is carefully evaluated and a custom treatment plan developed. In this unique process, patients are reassured that they will not only realize their expected objective improvements in appearance, but also feel renewed and restored.
Patients comment continually on Dr. Adamson’s skilled hands and exceptional, natural results. They remark on how well he listens and how he provides information in clearly understandable terms. His dedication, compassion, warmth and desire to do what is best for each patient is the hallmark of his practice credo.
- 2019 Maintenance of Certification, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- 2007 Maintenance of Certification, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- 1991 Board Certified, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- 1990 Fellow of the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery.
- 1984 Fellow of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- 1984 Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (F.A.C.S.).
- 1981 Board Certified, American Board of Otolaryngology.
- 1981 Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery.
- 1981 Graduate Fellow of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, in association with Tulane University
- 1980 Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery), (F.R.C.S.C.).
- 1974 Certificant of the Canadian College of Family Practice (C.C.F.P.)
University of Toronto.
- 1972 M.D. (Honours) University of Toronto.
- 1969 B.Sc. (Honours) Trinity College, University of Toronto.
- Professor (Head 2008-2018), Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto.
- Active Staff Surgeon, The Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network
- Consultant Surgeon, North York General Hospital.
- Specialist in cosmetic and functional nasal surgery, revision and reconstructive nasal surgery, eyelid lifts,
- Facelifts, forehead lifts, endoscopic lifts, laser resurfacing and non-surgical facial rejuvenation treatments such as facial fillers, neuromodulators and peels.
- Several hundred procedures performed annually.
- Founder of Adamson Medical Skin Care™.
- Nationally and internationally recognized for innovative surgical techniques and teaching.
- Frequent media guest appearances.
Honours & Awards
- Dr. Adamson was appointed to the Order of Ontario, the Province of Ontario’s highest honour, in December of 2016. This distinction was in recognition of Dr. Adamson’s surgical teaching, professional leadership and humanitarian missions.
- Since 2007 selected one of the “Best Doctors in Canada” by his peers.
- 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award from Canadian Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery.
- 2013 Eugene Tardy Scholar and Lecturer from American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for teaching contributions and leadership.
- 2011 John Orlando Roe Award from the American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery for best clinical research paper to Clinical Fellow, Kian Karimi, MD.
- 2009 Joseph Lecture and Medal for lifetime contributions to the advancement of facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. Awarded by the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery.
- 2008 Jack R. Anderson Award for highest ABFPRS examination standing to Clinical Fellow, Etai Funk, MD.
- 2007 Presidential Citation, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- 2006 Sir Harold Delf Gillies Award from American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for best basic research paper to Clinical Fellow, Matthew Zavod, MD.
- 2006 Honorary member, Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- 2004 Guest of Honour, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting.
- 2001 Larry B. Schoenrock Distinguished Service Award, American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery.
- 2000 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Toronto.
- 1997 American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 1887 Leadership Award.
- 1995 F. Mark Rafaty Memorial Award for contributions to Facial Plastic Surgery.
- 1992 American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Honour Award.
- 1992 Canadian Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Honour Award.
- 1991 Wilfred S. Goodman Award for best national scientific paper on facial plastic and reconstructive surgerey.
- 1990 American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Examination Development Award.
- 1989 American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Honour Award.
- 1988 Wilfred S. Goodman Award for best national scientific paper on facial plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- 1980 R. Samuel McLaughlin Foundation Fellowship in Medicine. Awarded for one year of advanced training in cosmetic and reconstructive facial surgery at Tulane University, New Orleans, L.A.
- Over 240 scientific papers, articles and book chapters.
- Over 750 meetings as director, faculty or visiting professor in 40 countries.
- Manuscript reviewer for scientific journals.
- 24 major teaching videotapes produced.
- Published two books: Fabulous Faces, Aesthetic Otoplasty.
- Studies of functional, cosmetic and reconstructive aspects of nasal surgery.
- Studies of cosmetic and reconstructive facial surgery techniques and outcomes.
- Quality of life studies.
- 30 Clinical Fellows supervised.
- Teaching presentations and demonstration surgeries in 40 countries.
Face the Future™ Foundation
1996 – PRESENT Founder and President
American Board of Otolaryngology
1996 – 1998 Board Examiner
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
1989 – PRESENT, Director of Graduate Fellowship Program
2006 – Chairman, 9th International Symposium for Facial Plastic Surgery
1996 – 1997 President
American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
2003 – PRESENT Senior Advisor
1988 – PRESENT Board Examiner
1997 – 2000 President
International Board for Certification in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
2012 – PRESENT President
University of Toronto, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
2008 – 2018 Head, Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
2008 – 2018 Member, Promotions Committee
2008 – 2018 Member, Departmental Appointments Committee
2008 – 2018 Member, Executive Committee
1999 – PRESENT Full Academic Professor
JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) Facial Plastic Surgery
2014 – PRESENT Member, International Advisory Board
2001 – 2014 Member, Editorial Board
Face the Future™ Foundation
Dr. Adamson is Founder and President of the Face the Future™ Foundation. A brief description of the Foundation’s humanitarian surgical missions follows. To learn more, please visit our website at FaceTheFutureFoundation.ca.